Okay, you’ve only got four days to plan something for dad! What do you do?
We have some ideas for you that dad is sure to appreciate, all of which you still have time to pull-off!
- Weekend getaway in the Raystown Lake Region: If dad loves the water, why not rent a houseboat from Seven Points Marina or Lake Raystown Resort Lodge and Conference Center? It is impossible to find accommodations any closer to Raystown Lake than a houseboat! These are perfect for the dad who loves to fish, swim, kayak, grill, and/or drive a boat. Plus mom and the family get the comforts of home with fully equipped kitchens, and bathrooms, not to mention comfy beds! Other types of accommodations are also available this weekend from camping to bed and breakfasts, cabins and vacation homes. Visit Raystown.org/places-to-stay to hone in on exactly the type of lodging you are looking for!
- Nostalgia and Ice Cream: Is dad the guy who loves cars, or is he the guy who has fond memories of riding the streetcar through his hometown? Why not treat him to a visit to the Swigart Automobile Museum, and take him for a ride and an ice cream treat at the Rockhill Trolley Museum? Other great places to reminisce are the Isett Acres Museum, Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum, and the Broad Top Area Coal Miners Historical Society Museum.
- The Bird’s Eye View: Take dad on a road trip he’ll never forget. Stop at Jo Hays Vista on Route 26 for a bird’s eye view of Happy Valley, then let him interact with raptors at Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center. After that, head south to Ridenour Overlook and Hawn’s Overlook for great views of Raystown Lake. Get back on Route 26 south then turn right onto 164 west to check out the views from atop Tussey Mountain on your way to a surprise helicopter tour of Raystown Lake or the Horseshoe Curve with Pine Bottom Aviation! Check out this Google Map for directions and suggested places for eating along the way!
- Buck the System: Admit it, there’s something mesmerizing to almost all dads about cowboys riding bucking broncos and bulls! If this describes your dad, then you need to get him tickets to the Central Pennsylvania Rodeo this weekend! Add in some great vittles, and dad can settle into the grandstand at the Huntingdon County Fairgrounds, and have a mighty fine time! Yee Haw!
- The Old Standbys with a Different Twist: So, the old standby is more your speed for a Fathers Day gift…The RLR has you covered there too! Want a sweater or socks? Then check out Terrace Mountain Alpacas for great Alpaca wool products. New camping gear? Rothrock Outfitters and Bear Creek RV have your back! Dinner and a show? Check out some great places to eat and the Clifton 5 or Playhouse at McConnellstown!
- A Gift from the heART: Gifts of art are always appreciated. The RLR has some great places to find the perfect piece of work for your favorite piece of work, I mean dad! Check out the Log Cabin Gallery Shop, Vintage Art Glass and the Foxy Grape, Li’l Deb’s Custom Stained Glass, Reeve’s Gift Boutique, Raystown Reflections Gift Shoppe, and Family Treasures, all have great artwork for sale!
If you are still at a loss, then give us a call at 888-729-7869, and we’ll help you out!
Happy Fathers Day!